2023年2月13日月曜日

UCalgary News!

The original article was clearly way too long for publication even online… but still too good not to share with someone who cares.

I hope you enjoy this longer original piece "reprinted" below, and you will learn more about this crazy man and where I'm coming from...

UCalgary economics prof invests in self-rediscovery through dance

Kunio Tsuyuhara hopes his philosophy of embracing new challenges inspires students

AUTHOR

Michelle Crossland, Advancement 


It’s not every day that you see a 40-year-old man taking beginner ballet lessons, but for Kunio Tsuyuhara, associate professor in UCalgary’s Department of Economics, the idea was a no-brainer. 

 

“My motto is to always try something new and outside of my comfort zone,” says Tsuyuhara. 


“Over the past decade, I’ve been going through a period of transformational growth. Dance was something that I always wanted to try, but it was definitely beyond my comfort zone. So I pulled the trigger one day when one of my former students mentioned that she used to dance at a ballet company. I shared my dance aspirations with her, and she encouraged me to try it.”

 

Tsuyuhara admits the hardest steps in learning to dance were the ones stepping into the studios.

 

“I was nervous when I attend a trial class at Alberta Ballet School – would the teacher expect a middle-aged man to try beginner ballet? However, the teacher accepted me immediately, and I loved moving my body with the live piano there. I was hooked. That was the beginning of my midlife dance adventure.”

 

Thanks to his dedication to learning this new art form, Tsuyuhara performed in the UCalgary School of Creative and Performing Arts’ Acts of Kindness program on January 27. 

 

However, dance is not the only hobby that has pushed Tsuyuhara outside of his comfort zone. He’s also a cyclist and MTB coach, runner and speed skater. Not to mention that he enjoys playing the piano and volunteers at an animal shelter AARCS


“Those non-physical activities are indeed very important part of my mental and emotional self-care to cope with life’s stress” added Tsuyuhara.

 

“I felt very funny when I saw UCalgary’s ‘Start Something’ banners on campus,” reflects Tsuyuhara. “These flags represent me and my way of life.”

 

Tsuyuhara says he believes people are not a fixed entity who should be forced to accept themselves as they are, because time and experience change everyone after all– and to seek great challenges means greater change.

 

“Growing up, I always wanted to try something challenging and difficult just out of curiosity,” says Tsuyuhara. 

 

“I remember being on a baseball team in elementary school. I didn’t take an opportunity that my coach gave me, and it’s one of my biggest regrets. I don’t know if this ‘take a chance’ attitude came after this experience, but a series of life events have helped me solidify it. 

 

“It’s taken a while for my inner Kunio to come out and for me to decide to be my authentic self and do something different, but now I’m fully committed to embracing challenges and growing as an individual. I believe that if you have a chance, take it.”

 

New beginnings

 

Tsuyuhara immigrated to Canada in 2005 from Japan. After living in Toronto for five years for his Ph.D., he made his way to Calgary. During his time as a UCalgary faculty member, he’s made a name for himself by doing things differently. 

 

“As a professor of economics, I have been drifting away from the typical macroeconomics research agenda,” explains Tsuyuhara. “Being an immigrant, I’ve always been fascinated by how openly Canada discusses Indigenous issues. During the COVID-19 pandemic, I had a bit more quiet time to think openly and freely, so I shifted my research to focus on Indigenous issues and economics.”

 

But it’s not just his research that’s unique – it’s also how he interacts with students. 

 

“Whenever I talk to students, I’m always careful about what I say because I know it will affect them in one way or another. I’m always mindful of what impact I’m having on people, especially younger people. One thing I encourage with all my students is to speak up in class and try expressing themselves– challenge yourself or me – really push the boundaries. Sometimes we are limited by the curriculum that we have to get through, but within that curriculum, there are always new ways to do things.”

 

Being comfortable with the uncomfortable

 

While Tsuyuhara is always looking to try something new, his learning progression hasn’t always been easy. Luckily, he’s been able to connect with a variety of amazing people who have supported him in his journey.

 

“I remember when I first started ballet, the ballet teacher didn’t judge me for being an older man who was doing something unconventional,” says Tsuyuhara. “And all the teachers I have met since then have been the same. They all supported me and shared their love of ballet with me. For that, I’ve been extremely lucky.” 

 

“Recently, I also started contemporary dancing, and last semester I decided to take a class for the dance major on campus. I was really worried if the other dancers, all young female dance students, would accept me because I’m an older man. However, my teachers fully supported me and encouraged me to continue, even though I was the only male student in the class. I actually became a buddy to a lot of the dancers, and one of the choreographer students asked me to be in her Dance@Noon piece, which was then selected to be part of Acts of Kindness program that was held on January 27 at UCalgary.

 

“It’s really the connections that I’ve built that have kept me going. People saw possibility in me and supported me when they saw me struggling. It’s been the people I’ve met during these times who have saved me and inspired me to move forward. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.”

 

Embracing change and age

 

One thing Tsuyuhara has been focused on the past decade is embracing aging and changing. 

 

“Older people doing amazing things – just look at the people in my speed skating community,” reflects Tsuyuhara. “We are constantly changing as we age, like it or not, and if you don’t realize it and take a chance to grow, you tend to be overly protective of yourself and develop your own ego. That’s not the grownup Kunio I wanted to be when I was a kid – I wanted to get rid of the ego that I previously held.” 

 

That’s why for the past decade, Tsuyuhara has been on a path of self-reinvention and redemption - he’s decided to be bold, keep moving, and continue growing. 

 

“If I don’t take ownership of this changing self, I will be the same person I was 10 years ago, or quite possibly I will change in a negative direction, and I don’t want that,” says Tsuyuhara. “For me, transitioning from age 35 to 45 has been huge, and I’m curious to see what will happen in the next 10 years. I think we need to remember that our failures aren’t failures when you are growing. And as I age and experience life, I can now clearly see the dots—“failures” at the time all being connected — and it’s always been a step forward.”

 

 

Tsuyuhara wants other people to know that if he can learn new hobbies in his mid-40s, then anyone can try something new.

 

“I’m an old man taking dance classes,” laughs Tsuyuhara. “If I can take this dance class on campus with young dancers of half my age, anyone can do anything, and I hope my experience encourages others.”

 

What’s next?


Going forward, Tsuyuhara believes that he will always be starting something. For the moment, he definitely plans to continue dancing and speed skating, but that’s not all. As a volunteer at AARCS, he’s training to become a vet technician assistant. In addition, he plans on trying poetry and writing a children’s book featuring his three beloved cats as the main characters. 

 

“Trying something new doesn’t mean having to do something drastically different. If you commit to making a positive change one step at a time, no matter how small each step you might feel, you eventually make a huge leap forward. You just need to be patient.

 

For me, speed skating has natural connection with dance, but I can also see myself figure skating someday. And why not acting or singing or both? Those performers I had the privilege of sharing the stage with at the Acts of Kindness event hugely inspired me. I definitely want to try those in the future!

 

Whichever direction this journey would lead me to, I want to keep my life adventurous as my way of life.”

 

Want to follow Tsuyuhara’s latest ‘Start Something’ endeavours? Check out his Instagram page.

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿